External render painted wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wanted to get the front of the house rendered. It was cladded, that'd been pulled off and the brickwork is damaged so best just render.

Its been painted with some heavy duty masonary paint which in a majority of the place is stuck fast and will not come off.

One builder a while ago was saying about getting any flaking paint off, sbr slurry mix with a mesh, and then k-rend on top after it dried

Another who is going to start the work tomorrow was saying getting a grinder on the wall to scratch it up, mooted a heat gun, then sbr slurry / mesh / k-rend

Scaffolding is up and I've taken a circular wire brush to a small area (attached to mini grinder) and it's really hard work to get it back to brick - would take a few minutes a brick

Basically I'm asking what others would do, and is taking a grinder to the wall even worth it with the paint adhered so securely. They are on day rates so don't want them doing anything which is not needed

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
So you want to render over the painted brickwork?

My last house in Liverpool was rendered over painted brick and it was 5 years before I discovered it when I decided to knock the render off.
Don't know if they coated the paint with anything beforehand though.

So you want to render over the painted brickwork?

Yes builder will be, but its whether its worth the time to scratch it up so the render gets good adhesion? or that the masonry paint is so well bonded that it can be done straight on top

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back