Scaffold roofing coupler spacing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If I have 8ft corrugated metal sheets and I want to clamp them, what spacing should the purlins be? I know 0.7mm corrugated sheet should normally be supported with 1.2m spaced purlins but I was wondering if I can have wider spacing as some pictures I've seen of 'tin hats' seem to have them wider apart.

thanks,
S.

Sponsored Links
A quick google says
"The spacing of the purlins will depend on the thickness of the sheets used. As

a guide the maximum spacing of purlins we would recommend for 0.5mm

gauge sheets is 1200mm, were as the 0.7mm gauge can be spanned upto

1600mm and sometimes further depending on the conditions."

For me though I would do half or a third of that spacing. I like to over engineer things, it only adds a tiny amount on to the cost. If you have high winds or 3ft of snow sat on the roof you might need it.

"Scaffold . roofing . coupler . spacing" ?? o_O

Which one of us has been on the pop?

You do know that your temporary scaffold roof needs to be designed to prevent it flying past my house?

You do know that your temporary scaffold roof needs to be designed to prevent it flying past my house?

I only said 'tin hat' cos that's the only place I've seen the couplers used. Doesn't mean I'm making one. Calm down Woody :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
A quick google says
"The spacing of the purlins will depend on the thickness of the sheets used. As

a guide the maximum spacing of purlins we would recommend for 0.5mm

gauge sheets is 1200mm, were as the 0.7mm gauge can be spanned upto

1600mm and sometimes further depending on the conditions."

For me though I would do half or a third of that spacing. I like to over engineer things, it only adds a tiny amount on to the cost. If you have high winds or 3ft of snow sat on the roof you might need it.

Yes, I found similar references as well, but I believe that advice is for screwed applications, whereas I'd be using the roof couplers (e.g. clamping). I didn't fancy wading through all the NASC literature to try to find some numbers for something so trivial. Since I'm only using single sheet lengths (8 ft deep structure) it's really down to whether I can just clamp at each end, or if I need one in the middle, and I think the answer is I need one in the middle. Then the other question is, do I need a tube on top of the middle purlin, or I just use a tube under to support the weight and be done with it. I suppose Woody is going to be worried if I just do the latter....

Oh. Apologies for me not realising that you meant something completely different to what you wrote. Probably the WiFi interfering with my telepathy again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back