Scaffold Tower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I've kind of talked myself into "wasting" a load of cash on one of these thinking it would in theory last for as long as I'm able to use it.
Anyway, I've read that EN1004 is what I should be looking for and I've seen quite a lot of recommendations for Boss towers which are possibly the most expensive.

Any thoughts on this one?
http://www.scaffold-tower.co.uk/Scaffold_Towers/single_width_1.8m_6x2/platform_height_5_2m.php

The 2 foot thickness puts me off a bit (I think slimmest boss is more like 2.7 feet thick). Would that be a real issue I wonder?

Or perhaps another EN1004 tower that I've missed?

I'm looking for something that goes up to the eves (so presumably platform height at 5M or above?) and really don't want to spend more than 1K on it if at all possible !

Thoughts or advice gratefully received?

Sponsored Links
5M is quite tall. For an ordinary house, two floors at 8' each gives 16' or about 5m. This means that the upper ceiling will be level with your platform, so you will have to bend over a lot!! On the other hand for chimney stack work you need at least 10' or 3m more.
I used a cheapo £110 4' square galvanised steel tower, a little rough , but it worked really well. Only thing worth making is a pair of wedges to close up the scaffold boards used as the platform, else the feet of the stool you are standing on can fall down the gap. Another useful gizmo, is a set of four wires or ropes to fasten the short base jacks to the main frame, so when you shuffle it about they do not fall off.
Frank

Many thanks for your reply, info and experiences

I was thinking about 5M because I (wrongly) assumed I could set the platform up below that height and having it up to 5M would mean I could go on the roof more easily in future if I needed to.

I must admit I was initially looking at DIY towers but somehow talked myself into getting better not least because I think even a DIY tower would cost £480 from e.g. http://www.laddersandscaffoldtowers.co.uk/acatalog/DIY-Scaffold-Towers.html
SO was thinking if I spent double that I might have something where I didn't need to worry about uneven ground etc.

Ah, maybe you mean something like this? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-D-I-Y-Steel-Scaffold-Tower-Scaffolding-Tower-4x26x18wh-/171973322260
But that doesn't include boards or outriggers (so making £250 approx - still a lot cheaper than £1k I agree!)

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
I did buy my one about 10 years ago, you don't need any "locking" clips because gravity holds it all together, unless you intend to assemble it horizontally . My one was galvanised, came with jacks and two diagonal strut things to stop it falling way from the wall. All I can remember is that it came from Birmingham. One thought, they take up a lot of room to store.
Frank

Well just thought I'd add for the record that I called the first link above today credit card in hand. A minor issue of a 2% charge to use a credit card but then they told me it would be £220 for delivery ! I said I'd think about it. I was already right at the very top end of what I "wanted" to spend which was already 5 times more than I thought it would be at the start.
In the end, rather than being the "proud" owner of a 5M industrial quality tower that might only get used once at 3M, I decided to go for a diy one here http://www.laddersandscaffoldtowers.co.uk/acatalog/DIY-Scaffold-Towers.html. Adding two outriggers came to about £260 and will hopefully be good enough for the job I need to do (removing hanging tiles on the wall)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back