Scaffolding Tower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Come the dry weather I need to repaint woodwork that is at roof level on a piece of apex above a bedroom window. So it's high; but how high?

If I'm hiring a scaffold tower, how can I calculate the height I need, in order to start a conversation about the kit I want? Is it all standard ("Above roof height you'll need x feet and that'll cost y £'s". That sort of thing). Or do I need to learn some schoolboy trigonometry and start calculating angles in order to be more precise about the hight?

Any comments on this completely new topic to me would be appreciated, in order to get me off to a good start before spring comes.

Thanks

Thank you all of you for your comments. They will definitely enable me to get a good estimate and to know where to make a start!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Most two storey soffits are at around 5m from the ground. Consider your own height and a comfortable reach to boot.

I'd rather be reaching up than crouching down when doing any work so position your scaffold platform to suit. If I was working on any object, I'd ideally want it aboot waist to chest height, therefore my platform would be three or four feet below the object.

Count the courses.

Measure floor to ceiling and add a bit

Measure the window height, estimate the distance above it in comparison to the window.

Make sure you quote platform height, not total height - which will include handrail.

Sponsored Links
get a long tape,drop the end to the outside floor write that measurement down.then retracked it,then feed it up the other way and write that measurement down,hey presto thats the height,then ask the hirer what height you need.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back