Scantronic 9200 Alarm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone offer advice?

I have a scantronic alarm with remote keypad. It does not power up. There is mains power getting to the box, but no power to the keypad. I have checked the fuses in the box and they are ok. Confused as to why there is no power to the keypad. On the basis that there appeas to be mains power I don't think it is a battery fault - can anyone advise?

Sponsored Links
Have you opened the panel?
This is a typical battery fault.
If you can without danger so isolate mains give us the numbers imprinted on the top of the battery or the installed date if written on it?

And how did you check the fuses? You need a test meter not just looking at them.

I can isolate the panel as it has a separate mains power fuse spur box prior to entering the panel. I have no intention of getting fried alive and safety is always first!

Therefore I was able to open front panel. One fuse had blown by I got a replacement via RS components.

The battery is a UCEL 12v 3.2Ah C20. It was tested on 13.02.09 by the previous contract holder - Pointer. I have inherited the system from previous house owner.

Will a dead battery be a fault even though there will be mains power?

Yes it is a old panel. They can behave strangely.

Have you tested for voltage at the keypad? Checked the cables too?
May as well do all that first too.

And I meant some numbers on the TOP near one of the terminals like they are stamped in.

Sponsored Links
I took the battery off and there looked to have been slight corrosion on the negative terminal - cleaned it up and then powered up again. Waited c. 30 seconds and the panel came to life - strange! and looks to be working.

Will the system not work if the battery is not connected properly??

Since it is working I won't be opening it up again to get the stamp on the top of the battery - but I did note that it looked like a date stamp that ended in 07. Looked through Screwfix & Toolstation cataloues and they seem to stock smilar batteries.

Do you think it may be best to replace the battery?

Thanks for the advice.

It will not work correctly, as you have found out.

It is the first 2 digits I want really. But checked 09 means 3 yrs old already and with corrosion present .
I would suggest a new one. Clean off all corrosion from terminals and use a bit of Vaseline when reconnected.

As I said a battery issue can make the panel behave strangely. It is old but many are still out there perfectly serviceable. I would do a walk test and an arm and trip to be sure all is well.

User guide http://www.coopersecurity.co.uk/repository/products/1842_9200_Family_User_Guide.pdf

Thanks - will try tomorrow, kids in bed and getting late. I will look to replace the battery.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back