Scarification

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bits of my lawn are yellowing even though I water it regularly so I raked some up as you can see here. Is this natural in the heat or should I be doing some scarification for the first time? If so, can anyone recommend a tool to do that?

Thanks

Matt

Attachments

• 20170706_132742 (Copy).jpg
    20170706_132742 (Copy).jpg
    267 KB · Views: 142
Sponsored Links
It's a bit late now to do scarifying - should be done around April and October only. You would then need to overseed.

Keep the mowing height up to retain moisture, shallow spike the lawn and water deeply. Have a look on the lawnsmith website for useful info too.

I thought spiking is pointless where the lawn is compacted. I just end up with permanent holes.

Sponsored Links
Spiking helps de-compact the compacted lawn. It also allows water to penetrate more deeply. I'd add in some iron to help green up the lawn.

If you have been feeding and watering and its still yellow in patches it may be worth checking for leather jackets. This has been a very bad year for them where I am.

Don't fret, this is pretty unlikely and only worth looking into if you've done everything else right and its still not great.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back