scary heating noises!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a Worcester combi boiler of about 4 years old. Since a radiator was removed from the system (new one now put on), the system has made a really loud sort of pounding noise, it seems to be coming from the loft above the bathroom ,but I don't think we have any pipes in the loft! They drained the system when they put new rad on, and bled each radiator. What could be the problem? By the way it started making the noise in between the old rad being removed and the new one put on, then it stopped. Then last night it started again.

:?:

Sponsored Links
You need to look in the loft to see what's there.

Where is the boiler, and which model is it?

is the noise a constant knocking?

we had that once and it was coming from in the loft, we carefully opened the loft hatch, looked round saw nothing but could still here this knock, knock, knock, looked by the tank, nothing, looked round the other side of the tank and there it was

wrapping paper

(wrap ... to knock)

Thanks for your replies. The boiler is a Worcester Bosch 24LE, and is situated in the kitchen, which is directly under the bathroom. The noise only starts after the heating has been on for a couple of hours, and seems to be coming from the bathroom/above the bathroom. The heating was installed about 4 years ago, and we don't seem to have any pipes or tanks or anything in the loft although admittedly I haven't actually been up and had a look! (Too many spiders :rolleyes: ).

The noise only started to happen when the radiator was taken off in the bathroom (which was about 4 weeks ago). A new rad has since been installed and the noise didn't happen for a while, but the day before yesterday it started up again! Grrrrr :evil:

Sponsored Links
I was asked to investigate a similar noise problem in the loft and found that the old pipework from the previous system was still there, or parts of it. this should have been removed when they changed to a combi system, but instead the engineers had only capped them of with manual vents, you have to vent these pipes as you would a radiator when refilling the system, and continue periodically. maybe yours is a similar problem. be brave and go up there. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back