Scary letter from next door re shared chimney pot rebuild.

Sponsored Links
I would speak to the C of E property dept and ask what the **** it's all about. May well be the builders trying it on or perhaps the work is to be done and they were simply meant to inform you they were carrying out work to their side of the stack and sent a quote by mistake.

You could tell them it is a disgrace for the church to pray on people like this!:evil:

Regarding the payments to the local parish mentioned above I am pretty sure it relates to work on the local parish church not their rentals.

apart from anything else the quote seems high to me, obviously it varies area to area but still 5k for 11 courses and a couple of pots?
is it really difficult to get to?
personally id take woodys advice, write them a reply

can you post some pictures of the stack?

Sponsored Links
I'd be getting a couple of other quotes at the very least. Possible the C of E have 'Approved Contractors' who they use for their work, and I would hazard a guess, any invoice submitted will be nodded through for payment, regardless of the amount, which may lead to prices being somewhat inflated, as there is no competition to get the work.

Alternatively, tell them you are happy with your half of the chimney, and will not be authorising any work to be done on your half. Also put them on notice that any damage, or works to your half necessitated by anyone working on behalf of the C of E on their side will be deemed their responsibility, and will need to be made good at their expense.

Thanks guys for all your help. As you say does seem like a bells and whistles sort of quote for a large commercial entity. Bit like me going to the Ivy with Richie Rich but having to split the bill.

FWIW to my untrained eye if there is anything visually wrong with the chimney it's defo on their side. I'll post some pics now.

My side

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    44.3 KB · Views: 162
The stack on their side appears to be splitting in the middle which will effect you as well in time.

Get your own quote. You can bet the COE's quotes includes bungs to various parties

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back