Schoolboy error, how to fix grout cracking?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Just finished tiling my bathroom and realised my mistake too late!! The floor is tiled on timber floorboards with a sheet of ply on top. The adhesive is wickes wall & floor adhesive, with no flexible additive. The grout is normal too. Problem is the grout has now cracked.

Can I simply replace the grout with flexible grout?? I really don't want to try and replace the adhesive!

My second question is related to sealing limestone. I have used HG stain protector, 2 coats. The water does not bead on the surface. Do i need to use another product? any recomendations

Any help appreciated
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hello,

Just finished tiling my bathroom and realised my mistake too late!! The floor is tiled on timber floorboards with a sheet of ply on top. The adhesive is wickes wall & floor adhesive, with no flexible additive. The grout is normal too. Problem is the grout has now cracked.

Can I simply replace the grout with flexible grout?? I really don't want to try and replace the adhesive!

Any help appreciated
Thanks

unfortunatly if you dont take up your tiles and start again with the correct adhesive they will take the time to come up on their own!

my thoughts too jefoss, I think you may have a recurring problem even if you regrout with a flexi-grout. Your problem may lie with the cheap adhesive & regrouting will probably be required every few weeks so best to rip up & start again with a flexible powder adhesive & flexi grout.

If your tiling with natural stone then you should use a premium quality adhesive, is the Wickes stuff ready mixed or powder? What size ply did you originally overboard with?

Re sealer, I'd try a couple more coats first, never used the HG stuff so can't really comment on how good it is. We tend to use sealers choice gold for our stone work, but some of the guys on here will have used it before & will be able to help more with the HG

Rather than remove the tiles straight away, as it's only a small floor it won't take long to properly rake out the existing grout and try a flexible grout. If it still breaks up (and you're so inclined) you could run silicone down the joints - it's not always pretty though it may mean you won't need to lift the tiles. If all else fails and your tiles work loose, you'll need to re-lay the tiles using a flexible adhesive.

Sponsored Links
you could always take the tiles up and lay them on a silicone bed,you cant get more flexible then that then use a flexible grout.

you could always take the tiles up and lay them on a silicone bed,you cant get more flexible then that then use a flexible grout.
Explain this procedure you suggest. How would you get an even bed? How would you dispense it? Have you worked out how much silicone you'd need per square metre and therefore worked out a cost per metre? Have you given any thought to how you would remove the tiles when you want to change them? Nobody doubts that silicone has good sticking potential, but there are considerations and to be honest it sounds like you haven't thought about them at all.

i was being sarcastic,your right i gave no thought to it at all,,bit like the op not thinking about using flexible adhesive on a floor that will move,sounds like hes best to lift them all and redo rather then trying to get it to work wasting more time effort and materials.

Yes, thanks very much for the sarcastic comments. Very useful.

I'll try flex grout first, then see how that goes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back