Scotland Building warrant

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,
After building a garden room ( this site very helpful ) saved a fortune .

Now I'm thinking I can apply all this new foumd knowledge to a small extention .

But Im in Scotland so I need a building warrent .

I'm confident I can have go at drawings to a good level for design ( enough trial and error ) and I'm in no rush

But clearly structural drawings calcs are a different level
I'll have an RSJ / universal beam or a v large flitch beam spanning 3.4 M's .I'll over enineer this regardles ( single story dormer above )

leaving aside all the pay peanuts / monkeys clichés .

Any idea the most cost effective way to get the application to acceptable drawings without paying a structural engineer hundreds ... Happy to teach myself any applications
Or ...
Do I just have to suck it up ?
If so is there a virtual / afforable way ?

Any innitial enquiries seem to be after easy money for big projects ... As in in an expensive part of Scotland for everything .

Sponsored Links
There are online calcs available but as for whether you're sticking in the right figures for this or that is another thing, they'll also spit out some beam without any thought to costs or what might be a more practical solution had you paid a bit extra and used a structural engineer.

Thanks ,
Any thoughts on likelyhood of a flitch beam getting approval over an RSJ/UB - for supporting the roof of a I story cottage ?

If doing all the work myself ( preferance ) I'm thinking an steel been is a bridge too far

Sponsored Links
It's going to depend what your building inspector requires. Some have enough experience to know if x beam is ok - others just tick boxes, and will want to tick the box that says 'calculations provided'. You can probably work out a beam online - it's the calcs that will cost you some money.

A simply supported UB is easy. A flitch is slightly more complicated. 3.4m isn't a big span so, unless the loads are unusual, it should be fairly straighforward.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back