Scotland - WC under Work Not Requiring Building Warrant

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive posted previously. Adding a loo to existing utility room. Was going to remove external door which triggered warrant but have rejigged plans & simplified so keeping door & believe i can now do the work without warrant. Saving time & ££. Was being quoted £1500 for plans + warrant fee which i think is overkill as i’m only adding a loo.

Can i just check i am right? I know work still needs to be to standards thats not an issue at all. Also can someone point me to a source that details info about alterations being reasonably practical and about improving building & not making things worse. The reason i ask is that there is a small step down into the utility room and there has been discussion with both planners who came out to quote about possibly being asked to raise the floor. We weren’t asked to do this when utility was converted from old kitchen 4 years ago so I’m not sure why because a loo will be in there now it would be needed?

Thanks for any advice x

Sponsored Links
What do you mean by warrant and what has a toilet got to do with planners ( or do you mean the people doing the drawings )?

Hi - sorry i mean building warrant. And yes one was a design person & one an architect that i had out re: potential drawings for submission if applying for a building warrant.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Not an expert, yet.

Have you spoken to the local council or building control officer? If not do not is my advice.

I'm also not 100% what your asking.

Scottish building standards/regs stipulate minimum requirements regarding "activity zones" and your two designers would be making sure this is achieved in the design process. As part of this dwellings have now to be accessible on a flat level, hence one guy saying you may need to raise the floor level to confirm to standards for an accessible WC.

You may have notice some renovations have small WCs, in old cupboard under stairs etc. Chances are these are added in after building sign off, pipe work often installed and hidden ready to go.

My advice, which is often muttered under the breath of professionals, just do it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back