Scottish slate roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i bought an 1840 C listed building and had a recommended roofer inspect it before purchase. He said it would need routine maintenance but was fine and had lots of work already done.

When I’ve been up in the attic the nails that stick through the sarking boards in some places are so rusted they crumble. A lot of the nails ends have condensation droplets which I have seen before in other houses.

There is no obvious serious issue with slipping tiles (been in 2 months) but I am worried that the poor condition of the nails inside means nail sickness above, but I also wondered if the corrosion might be to do with the formation of water drops inside and not necessarily indicative that the whole nail above is rotted. I don’t know how old the roof is. Large parts seem to have been done, but the focus there seems to have been new rafter ends as these have been sistered and new sarking boards laid. Must have been rot.

Should I be worried as this could be ££££

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back