1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Scottish slate roof

Discussion in 'Roofing and Guttering' started by Gerry1888, 5 Jan 2019.

1. Gerry1888

Gerry1888

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    i bought an 1840 C listed building and had a recommended roofer inspect it before purchase. He said it would need routine maintenance but was fine and had lots of work already done.

When I’ve been up in the attic the nails that stick through the sarking boards in some places are so rusted they crumble. A lot of the nails ends have condensation droplets which I have seen before in other houses.

There is no obvious serious issue with slipping tiles (been in 2 months) but I am worried that the poor condition of the nails inside means nail sickness above, but I also wondered if the corrosion might be to do with the formation of water drops inside and not necessarily indicative that the whole nail above is rotted. I don’t know how old the roof is. Large parts seem to have been done, but the focus there seems to have been new rafter ends as these have been sistered and new sarking boards laid. Must have been rot.

Should I be worried as this could be ££££

2. datarebal

datarebal

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    any pictures? inside and out..

3. oldbutnotdead

oldbutnotdead

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Condensation in the loft is never a good thing. Is there any eaves ventilation?

4. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links