Scratched/gouged Engineered wood floor....Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My wife, god bless her! has just rang and said " I've had an accident, i dragged the sofa and now there's a big scratch on the floor" :evil:
The floor is an engineered laminate oak. Is there any way anyone knows of getting rid of scratches/gouges in wooden floors?

Sponsored Links
Philip, is it laminate (i.e. Plastic Melamine) or wood-engineered (i.e. solid top layer of 2 - 8mm on pine or plywood backing)? See 'sticky' in this category.

Melamine would be ruined, wood-engineered can be 'saolve', depending on the finish used: lacquer/varnish or oiled?

Woodyoulike, Its an engineered Oak, about 4mm layer.
Its got a laquered finish.
I only layed it just before xmas :evil:

What would you recomend?

Try maintenance polish first, might do the trick if the scratch isn't too deep.
If the lacquer layer has been damaged though, sanding might be the only solution (but local sanding and applying a new lacquer layer might cause a patchy looking floor - hence the reason why we love oiled floors).

Sponsored Links
can you do a board replacement? is scratch across many boards or one or two? if across many a full sand and seal may be best but not a easy job.

Try maintenance polish first, might do the trick if the scratch isn't too deep.
If the lacquer layer has been damaged though, sanding might be the only solution (but local sanding and applying a new lacquer layer might cause a patchy looking floor - hence the reason why we love oiled floors).

Sorry, I know this post is very old post, but could you recommend a product available in the UK? I've googled maintenance polish but I couldn't find much.
Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back