Screeching pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

The pipes supplying my toilet cistern screech every time the cistern refills. The noise seems to be coming from the 15mm feeder pipe and is seriously loud!

This started about three months ago (pretty much just after we had moved in) and seems to be getting worse. It lasts for the duration of the filling cycle.

The sound can be relieved somewhat by turning on the taps in the basin.

Please can anyone let me know a) what is going on; and; b) how to stop it!

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
The old ball valve is worn out. It might also be set up for low pressure and you have a high pressure supply.

buy a Torbeck to replace the ball valve. They are extremely quiet.It should cost you less than £10. You will need a couple of spanners and to turn off the water supply while you are working. It comes with parts for high and low pressure.
p4748578_l.jpg

Or you could buy a new ballvalve to replace the old worn one, will be slightly cheaper but not as quiet. It should cost you less than £5
p1816516_l.jpg

Or you could buy a ball-valve overhaul kit for a couple of pounds and mend the old one. this will be slightly cheaper but take up more of your time.

My illustrations are of side-entry valves but your cistern may need a bottom-entry one, also readily available, but more work to fit.

Sponsored Links
There is a chance that you will be able to screw the working parts from your new valve onto the stem of the old. More likely if you buy the same kind.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back