Screed drying times ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello my little beauties.

Does anyone know the differing drying times of each type of screed? I had one layer with fibres in it two weeks ago and want to get it latexed ready for a vinyl floor. How long should I wait ? It's 75mm thick and is meant to be fast drying. It's annoying because everything is done and I'm sat waiting for the screed. Cheers bob

Sponsored Links
Bobbybingham08, good evening.

No easy answer, too many variables.

1/. What does the manufacturer of the screed say / recommend? and how much water was added to the screed when laid? with regard to how long to "Dry" [ a very relative term ]

2/. What is the recommendation for moisture content of the screed by the vinyl floor manufacturer? [VITAL!!!]

3/. What is the recommendation for Moisture in the screed? is it comparable with the Latex Screed you are about to use?

As an aside, Concrete / Cement based screeds are considered to "Dry" at between 10.mm. and 20.mm. / Month.

If you have, or would wish to consider hiring, or at a cost, a Moisture Meter, this device will give you an approximation of moisture content of the Screed, these [Numerous] devices will give you a fairly good indication of the drying of the screed. Such devices should be used over the entire floor [even corners?] If you do use such a device, take digital images of the results, in case there is a failure of the flooring system.

One thing to consider would be to encourage air flow over the screed, the flow of air even in corners [assisted by a Fan] will greatly assist the overall drying of the screed.

As first stated, a load of variables, including prevailing external weather conditions.

Sorry no absolute definitive reply, but some points to consider.

Ken.

Thank you I've bought a dehumidifier and there is no condensation in the mornings now even when the dehumidifier is not on. I'm desperate to get the finished floor layed soon as that is the only thing left to do now. It's meant to be a medium drying time screed. It's got fibres in it and it's meant to be the best for underfloor heating.

So you have underfloor heating in this screed?
"The internet" tells me that perhaps you can use that, at a very low temperature, to speed up the drying.
Not that this is a subject I actually know anything about - though I thought it was 1mm/day.

Sponsored Links
Hi Bob, I had an 85mm screed put down with fibres and hardener and was told I could lay over the top after 1 week.

Andy

I was recently on a sports hall job and after a month of drying the screed was still too damp to lay the flooring. In the end they had to lay a liquid dpm before laying the vinyl.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back