Tiling on new screed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just put down 75mm of screed which i have fitted with underfloor heating pipes, i am aware that i cannot have the heating switched on for about 4 weeks to allow the screed to dry but my question is...can i lay my floor tiles before this time or do i have to wait to ensure it has dried out fully ??

Sponsored Links
You must leave the screed to dry out thoroughly before you tile & at 1 day for every 1mm of depth, it could take longer than 4 weeks. You may be able to speed things up a little by having the UFH on low after,say, 3 weeks but if you tile too early or rush drying time it could end in tears. What type of screed is it, conventional sand/cement?

I believe it was conventional screed, ordered from a local concrete delivery firm, I did have fibres added to it !!!
I have read somewhere that the drying time is 1 day per 2mm of screed ?

Generally accepted practice & Building Regs requirement is 1 day per 1mm screed depth. This can be pushed a little as I advised but your other source is, maybe, being overly optimistic; even cement doesn’t fully chemically cure before 28 days. Your floor, your tiles, your choice! ;)

Sponsored Links
id leav it 1mm per day and then use a good primer over the top

Thanks both for your responses and i will be leaving it 1mm a day as recommended.
Plstering you brifely mentioned something about my next question, what I need to treat the new screed with before tiling, what type of primer do you recommend ??

Andy

Use quality trade powder cement based adhesive not cheapo DIY crap & not tub mix. Before you go priming the screed, read & follow your chosen adhesive manufacturer’s instructions regarding priming. Sand/cement screed generally don’t need primer unless very dusty but Anhydrite screeds need an Acrylic primer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back