Screened Face Plates

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Im having problems wiring a coax to a diplex wall outlet for tv and fm/dab. Im happy what I have to do with the screen but how the hell do you get the centre conductor in? Ive con checked all over the screened outlet to the centre piece on both radio and tv but nothing is touching it other than the soldier joint on the PCB. I must be missing something really obvious here.

Thanks fellas

Its a Labgear PSW122MB bought from screwfix.

Sponsored Links
Not sure which Labgear plate you have from Screwfix. They use a 5 digit product code, so it might be better to post that info so we are all certain we are talking about the same thing.

In the meantime, here's some general info on Screwfix part 81490 (Labgear Screened Outlet Plate Triplex)

Strip the cable as shown in the Labgear instructions pdf link here Then insert so that the centre core goes in to the hole to be gripped by the grub screw (or butterfly spring, depending on design) Tighten the screw. Then close the clamshell lid and tighten the securing screw(s) for that.
plate_inset.jpg

Image courtesy of Satcure web site http://www.satcure.co.uk

thanks for the reply. There isnt a grub screw. There is nothing at all obvious to hold the centre conductor in other than a clamp to go accross the screen. Product Code 93882. But when the centre conductor is in as far as i can get it, the is no continuity between that centre conductor and either the dab or the tv centre pins. the screen is earthed fine.

I think you're going to have to post a link to the support page at Labgear for that product, or take a picture of the back and upload that because either you haven't opened up the clam shell fully or you have some sort of weird triplex plate that no one has seen before.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Chris. As far as I can see there is nothing more to open up. Ill try and up load a photo on here.

Right, I really don't inderstand this and I have training with coax too. I wired in 1 foot length of coax as you should to the screen wall plate. I then took my tv aerial out downstairs, plugged the tv part of the wall plate into the telly and then touched the centre conductor of the actual aerial onto the length on coax centre conductor and the tv works. But there isn't continuity between the wall plate centre and the length of coax centre. How has that magic just worked? Ill accept it works and fit it but I'd just like to know so only qualified Wizards need apply.

Think I need a drink!

Right, I really don't inderstand this and I have training with coax too. I wired in 1 foot length of coax as you should to the screen wall plate. I then took my tv aerial out downstairs, plugged the tv part of the wall plate into the telly and then touched the centre conductor of the actual aerial onto the length on coax centre conductor and the tv works. But there isn't continuity between the wall plate centre and the length of coax centre. How has that magic just worked? Ill accept it works and fit it but I'd just like to know so only qualified Wizards need apply.

Think I need a drink!

DC blocking capacitor.

Hi
That might explain what the metal strip is that appears to stop the ceter conductor going through. But how does this work?

Why not ask your supplier? The company you paid.

I can't see from your photos but presumably the centre conductor slides between two springy metal contacts, as in an LNB connection. If not then it's relying on capacitive coupling.

The centre conductor is pushed into a spring contact. The reason there's no conductivity is because it's a diplex outlet. Suffice it to say it's not and cannot be a direct electrical connection between input and output.

That's great, thanks for your replies. I went to a local electrical store, I also went back to screwfix, and I went to a wholesales. None of them had a clue has to why it wasn't working. It's only because I thought I'd try it out that I found out it worked.

Welcome to RF. It has little apparent connection to the 9V battery and bulb they showed you in school! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back