Screw holding tool

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to lay a laminate floor and want to screw down the underlying floorboards before I start.

When I do this at the moment I make the first couple of twists by hand until the screw is embedded in the wood, then finish with a power screwdriver - if I start with the power driver, the screw usually topples over. Across hundreds of screws, starting each one by hand adds up to quite a lot of faff!

Is there a tool which you can use to prevent the screw from toppling over?

Sponsored Links
Maybe you could make a little hole with a drill, just enough to hold your screw.
Or, you could try this or invent something similar.

Last edited:
Pre-drilling the holes is the best option. The screw tip will sit within it and as soon as you start turning, the threads will have an opening to grip onto.

Sponsored Links
Pre-drilling the holes is the best option.
On hundreds of screws? You, sir, have a lot of patience! I do this job from time to time - decent screws, magnetic bit holder (as @foxhole says) and push hard to ensure the screw head sinks properly. TBH this is one of those jobs where an impact driver runs rings around any drill

A drill and a screwdriver (plus second person) helps.
As does a combined drill/countersink
And a set of knee pads.

Last edited:
Be really careful doing this unless you know for absolutely certain (cos you've looked under the boards) that there are no pipes or cables lurking notched through the joists.
Screws - if you are using slothead screws then you are going to struggle. If using Philips or Pozi make sure you are using the correct size and shape bit (it does make a difference). You could try Torx head screws (Toolstation sell them, I'm sure others do). I really like them because you don't have to lean on the screw to make the bit bite.

You get a makita bit/screw holder, tbh I bought one years ago, used it a few times, found it rubbish, but maybe I wasn't using it right and should dig it out for another look

I use a magnetic holder with a telescopic tube on the end. Holds the screw straight enough.
sometimes a simple cobalt magnet on the side does it

I use a magnetic holder with a telescopic tube on the end. Holds the screw straight enough.
sometimes a simple cobalt magnet on the side does it

I have a dewalt branded one of those

DT7701-QZ it is £2.51 at Toolstation

You put the screw in and pull the sleeve forward, as you push against the surface, the sleeve moves back as the screw goes in.

You can see it action in the following video- jump to 1:12 minutes.

Naturally, it won't work with the likes of stainless steel screws because they are not attracted to magnets.

On hundreds of screws? You, sir, have a lot of patience! I do this job from time to time - decent screws, magnetic bit holder (as @foxhole says) and push hard to ensure the screw head sinks properly. TBH this is one of those jobs where an impact driver runs rings around any drill
Easter 2021, I purchased a 12v Metabo cordless and impact driver (combo offer). Earlier this month, I used the impact for the first time. I had never previously used an impact driver- I incorrectly assumed that they were "clumsy" tools. I had to remove about 8 posts screwed to a 4.5" garden wall.

I tried to use the 12v drill and soon noticed that I risked camming out the screw head. On a whim, I tried the impact driver. I was amazed at how easily it removed the screws. The rotational impact makes a massive difference when trying to remove stubborn screws.

I do still get annoyed with kitchen fitters using them inappropriately on MDF kitchen doors and carcases though.

I recently had to fix my integrated condenser heat pump tumble drier. The kitchen fitters had used an impact driver to fit the 65(?)mm hinge screws that go in to the drier. They completely mashed two of the heads and I had to drill the heads off with a TCT drill bit...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back