Screws

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am laying plywood over existing suspended wooden plank floorboard.

I am using screws to hold it down.

I understand I can use self tapping countersinking screws.

Can I just check: Do I just need a regular drill to screw the screws in? The screw itself taps and creates its own countersink? Or do I need another tool or a different drillbit?

Sponsored Links
Use a cordless drill on the torque setting and slowly drive the screw straight in with screwdriver bit. If the drill cuts out early adjust the torque until it cuts out when the screw head is just below the surface. By the time you have finished all that flooring you will probably be able to sink the screws freehand by “feathering” the trigger i.e repeatedly pulling and releasing it to control the depth and speed of the screw being sunk

Drill a small pilot hole first if not used to powered screwdriving as it takes practice to keep the bit and screw in line. A mains drill is not suitable for driving screws.

Blup

Use a cordless drill on the torque setting and slowly drive the screw straight in with screwdriver bit. If the drill cuts out early adjust the torque until it cuts out when the screw head is just below the surface. By the time you have finished all that flooring you will probably be able to sink the screws freehand by “feathering” the trigger i.e repeatedly pulling and releasing it to control the depth and speed of the screw being sunk

Drill a small pilot hole first if not used to powered screwdriving as it takes practice to keep the bit and screw in line. A mains drill is not suitable for driving screws.

Blup

so just got a torque cordless off Amazon.

when you say I need pilot holes at first....that’s fine but I have thousands of screws to go in! Are you saying once I’ve done a few with a pilot I’ll get the knack so hopefully after say 50 I might be good to go without pilot holes?

alternatively, I have a mains drill, I could get My nephew doing pilots and me doing the screws. However I was hoping to just screw it all without the need for pilot holes

You don't need pilots, if you've not done it before practice on some offcuts.

Blup

Sponsored Links
Impact driver and decent screws like reisser, spax or even the turbo silver from screwfix.
They'll go in and pull the 2 surfaces together with the impact action.

I'm a recent convert to impact drivers, very quick and the advanced models have slow starts.

Blup

Make sure you know where the pipes and wiring are or use screws short enough not to penetrate right thru boards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back