screwdriver for commando plugs and pozi electrical terminals?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, today I find myself having to replace yet another 4mm straight/slot screwdriver because the terminals on things like commando plugs have a kind of pozi screw yet there is no V groove to allow a PZ2 driver to be fully seated.
I find that the little amount of metal that the driver actually contacts with is only at the edges of the driver which has caused it to bend or snap when being given a good thrutching.

Before you say it, not all these have been the cheapest drivers.. lol

As I prefer the right tool for the job I'd like to get some drivers specifically for these crappy type of screws often found in electrical equipment these days (bring back plain slots please!).

Can anyone point me to the right name or type of screwdrivers I need for these?
Cheers.

Sponsored Links
They are often called "plus minus" screwdrivers, or "Modulo".

Unfortunately you'll need to buy all 4 types...

PZ1/SL
PZ2/SL
PH1/SL
PH2/SL

Here's mine, the Pozidriv ones are Bahco, the Phillips ones are Wera...

full

With flash...
View media item 102579

Last edited:
Any pictures of the screws? (just out of interest).

I work on motorcycles and as well as PH/PZ/Torx etc we have JIC as well (basically Japanese PH) why they have to be ever so slightly different is anyone's guess..

Thanks, I think the orange ones are the right size.

It's a pain when you have climbed inside a small hot cupboard (cold) and are doing the terminals up on a ceramic block to have to use a 4mm straight when you know you just cannot use too much torque because of the little amount of material on the screw.
Forr commando plugs I find a cheap little chubby pozi I bought works but seems very ham fisted. :)

Now to see where to get them from, print it out and take my broken drivers to the boss :)

Sponsored Links
I work on motorcycles and as well as PH/PZ/Torx etc we have JIC as well (basically Japanese PH) why they have to be ever so slightly different is anyone's guess..
You can actually buy JIS screwdrivers on Amazon. I have a Vessel #2 to work on my Makita tools, some of which use JIS rather than ISO, but even Laser do a set

Any pictures of the screws?
little amount of material on the screw

I'm sure you've seen them Keith, those stupid screws that can take either a slotted or a "cross" (cringe!) screwdriver. They are bad at being used with either!

For anything countersunk, just use a wider slotted screwdriver, because the slot goes all the way across the head...

CountersunkPlusMinusPozi.JPG

It's pan head where the trouble starts, even a large slotted won't have as much meat to grab...

PanPlusMinus.jpg

Left is a PH2/SL, and, to contradict myself from before:oops:, right is a Pozi3/Slot, although I don't think you can buy a driver for Number 3 of either PH or PZ, they're not as likely to cam out.

Last edited:
Boy, there is far more meat on those screw heads than on the cruddy ones I have to use, I'll try and get some pics tomorrow.

And if anyone is interested , which I admit is highly unlikely, JIS stands for japanese industry standard. Sorry was far too late for the pozi plus/minus.

Well, I tried to take photos of the screws today.
Unfortunately some idiot has just fitted LED lighting throughout the factory and it strobes something bad when I use my phone camera lol

Although, luckily II notice that on the bay I can get some CK 1/4" bits that are Modulo PZ1 & 2 for only a few quid.
So I'll see how well they do in a few days.

Your first picture is Phillips/Slotted (probably No1). You do need both types, the PZ/SL really won't fit them.

OH poo.... That's the one I really want them for as that's the bugger that killed my flat driver.
AH well, for the price they are damn cheap so will be useful at some point.
Although the page does not say which they are, the french bit on the packaging says pozidrive.
[link]

I'll look for some Phillips ones now.

Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back