Screwing into dot and dabbed plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just about to put up some dot and dab plasterboard for the first time in the bathroom

Will be mounting shower head / small cabinet / small corner sink onto the walls at various points around the room

I've heard that once you dab the boards on you'll never get them off without half the wall coming with them...so am assuming that the adhesive is strong stuff !!! If I put a load of adhesive at the points I am expecting the screws to go will the adhesive take a screw so that I will not need to buy great big long screws and plugs to go into the brickwork behind??

Ta for any advice!!

Sponsored Links
You are doing the right thing by putting the dabs where you think you'll need them.

For light items you will be okay with fixing into the dabs.

However, for a sink or shower or heavy items I'd like to get into the blockwork - If you have a 12.5mm board and say a 10-15mm dab, you are only talking about an extra inch or so ,and that could make all the difference.

(No sniggering at the back there).

An ordinary plug knocked in properly before you put the screw in(you will know the depth by the amount the drill bit went in) will do you. You just need a longer screw.

(I said, NO sniggering)

you are only talking about an extra inch or so ,and that could make all the difference.

(No sniggering at the back there).

An ordinary plug knocked in properly before you put the screw in(you will know the depth by the amount the drill bit went in) will do you. You just need a longer screw.

(I said, NO sniggering)
giggle giggle, tee hee tee hee tee hee, phwoar, .... ad infinitum :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

You say you are going to mount a shower head on P/board. Not a good idea.
Obviously you will be tiling on top of the board where the shower head is going, the reason you dont use plaster board in a wet area is, if the grout cracks at some time ,which it probably will you will have an expensive disaster!!! Use the proper backer board for wet areas.

Sponsored Links
If you can only get an inch into something solid then i would like to recomend that your screw is a bit fatter than normal, these skinny ones can bend a bit and maybe snap.

You say you are going to mount a shower head on P/board. Not a good idea.
Obviously you will be tiling on top of the board where the shower head is going, the reason you dont use plaster board in a wet area is, if the grout cracks at some time ,which it probably will you will have an expensive disaster!!! Use the proper backer board for wet areas.

Cheers for the reply -- was looking to use (MR) plasterboard then tank / cover in a waterproof membrane before tiling.

Would that not offer decent protection? Or is it a million miles away from proper backer board?

was looking to use (MR) plasterboard then tank / cover in a waterproof membrane before tiling.
Would that not offer decent protection? Or is it a million miles away from proper backer board?
That’ll do it fine as long as you do it right but why not use a decent tile backer board in the first place. When all factored in, think you’ll find the cost is about the same without all the extra hassle. ;)

was looking to use (MR) plasterboard then tank / cover in a waterproof membrane before tiling.
That’ll do it fine as long as you do it right but why not use a decent tile backer board in the first place. When all factored in, think you’ll find the cost is about the same without all the extra hassle. ;)

Cheers for that....

was thinking dot and dab since the walls are a bit of a mess and building a frame to get backerboard / aquaboard flush would take me about a year to do I reckon - was hoping to get things level using extra adhesive where required on the dips in the walls

From what I can gather you cannot dot and dab backer board etc (although I'm a complete novice at this stuff! !!!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back