screwing plaster board or dot and dab? to patch up?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
in some areas of patching up around a new door way and holes in old plaster rather than dot and dabbing can i build up the wall to exsisting plaster level ready to be skimmed by screwing off cuts of plaster to the wall? ...why would this be a bad idea?...it would just be on a few small areas and possibly screwing into a concrete lintel with drywall screws.....any advice?

thanks.

Sponsored Links
The right way to do it is to fill out to the surrounding wall level with Bonding Coat plaster, reinforce & then skim the lot. I do use strips of plasterboard screwed to wall timber sole plates (plaster doesn’t stick well to timber & cracks due to differential expansion) & filled out, reinforced & plastered over that. So very similar but if you go that route, don’t try to use screws (especially on the lintel), use drywall adhesive or if its small area, can use a trade grab adhesive. You will still have to fill out the repaired hole to the surrounding area before skimming & reinforce the join to avoid cracks ------ might as well fill it out with Bonding Coat!

Thanks for the reply richard mate
.... Since posting the question, ive just been out and got some dry wall adhesive to do it properly to dot and dab it...think i was trying to quickly cut a corner on a small area. Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back