Screws for cladding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey folks, I need to order some screws for my garden room cladding. I'm interested if anyone can please tell me if there is much difference in cheapo stainless steel screws and more expensive ones. I'm doing cedar tgv on the front and 12mm tgv matchboard on the sides and back. I'd like to do as hidden fix as possible and just wondered if there's a huge difference between these Toolstation ones and the rather more expensive cladding supplier ones.

Versus

Cheers
Larry

Sponsored Links
I don't think there is any real difference with those two screw types. Especially with hidden fixing.

However those rounded head types can cause the surface to slightly indent and the hole in the timber not to close tight around the head. Compare the head with something like these https://www.russwood.co.uk/shop/product/l-gofix-a2-screws/ - this head makes a much cleaner cut, no indent of soft timber such as cedar and sits nice and flush.

Not an issue in your case, but the head profile can make a difference if visible fixing

Hi Woody,

Thank you for your insights, appreciate it. I'll give the cheaper ones a go on the rear cladding first before attempting the cedar.

Cheers
Larry

Are you fixing it to battens? Or to the brickwork?

Sponsored Links
If you are looking for the most unobtrusive fixings, then 16 gauge (or 18 gauge for interior work) stainless steel pins (as used in an appropriate nail gun) are the least obvious having tiny heads, followed by stainless steel oval nails, and then a fair way behind, screws.

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back