Screws

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
Been doing my hall and in essence, put up a new skin of tapered plasterboard over the existing, done now, all finished but now have to put up the light fittings which is where I may have a problem.

When I was putting up the plasterboard it was REALLY difficult to get the screws into the existing ceiling (about 20mm thick) not too sure why but it was like screwing into concrete in places, I assume this was the lathe and plaster ceiling that was originally there.

Anyway, I need to put up a light fitting. Normally I would screw through the plasterboard and into a stud but a) I cant see where the stud is now and b) there is every chance that the screw might not be long enough to get into the stud anyway.

Firstly, can I just screw the fitting into the existing plasterboard and then into the plasterboard above it with some kind of screw? Will it hold (lightweight light fitting) or should I really plug it?

Is there a short screw that can be used on ceilings that would hold a light fittings that is sharp enough to go through the new plasterboard and the old?

Sponsored Links
If it is a lightweight fitting you will get away with wall plugs, anything weighty will require a securer fixing, either through joist/noggins (these can be fitted if access above is available) or the use of spring toggle or hollow wall fixings.

There are plenty of screw lengths that can penetrate through an overboarded ceiling in to joists.

Lath/plaster ceilings can sometimes be hard to penetrate, sometimes the plaster is tough, then there is always the nails in the lath that can be obstructive.

Use a decent plug like Rawl Uno. You can get them from B&Q.

Not too sure about the weight, not like a cast iron fitting or anything like that but don't really want it to fall down if I can help it.

Plugging seems the more sensible option, I have some brown plugs which I could probably use, I believe its a 7mm drill and then a size 10 screw.

the plasterboard I put up is 12mm (I think - the thicker of the two) and the original ceiling is going to be like at least 15mm thick (if not more) so I will have at least 27mm to plug but I am not sure which plug to use, the plasterboard type ones I don't think will work because they open up at 12mm or less, a normal plug would be better but not too sure if this is the right way to go, I could be lucky and hit a stud of course but that is very unlikely

Sponsored Links
You could use a couple of "Toggle bolts" Drill two holes the size of the toggles then feed them thru and they will open up and grip either side of the holes.You can get different lengths to fit your thickness of where you are putting your fitting... ;)

As above, you can get spring toggles that will allow enough thread to enter the ceiling void and the toggle to open. I would not recommend using wall plugs on a fitting that weighs much more than 0.5kg.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back