sdtiff clutch citroen xantia

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've just purchased a 1999 Citroen Xantia iSX 1998, 1998cc. Big mileage but everything works as it should with one possible exception - the clutch is very stiff, needs a lot of pressure to operate. No problems with gears these work excellently and no slippage on clutch.

My last car was a Mazda 626 which had a beautifully light clutch so I feel the heaviness on the citroen probably more than others would.

Is a stiff clutch normal on this model?

Can anyone suggest ways of making it less stiff?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Sponsored Links
If the clutch is well worn then it will certainly be stiffer to use than when it was new - however, I'd be inclined to fit a new clutch cable and, when the cable is disconnected, see how stiff its operating arm is - the one that goes into the bell housing.
John :)

Thanks Burnerman for your reply and sorry for the delay in replying, been otherwise engaged. Mileage is about 200,000 but unfortunately I don't know when (if ever?) the clutch was last replaced.

I've experienced clutch problems on other cars with symptons like over-revving, difficulty engaging gears, noise (chatter or squeel), slippage etc but none of these symptons are evident on this car, the only indication is the pedal pressure required. Incidentally the pedal returns properly.

On the Xantia do you know if any warning signs are evident prior to failure or could the clutch "just go"?

It looks as though I will have to bite the bullet and take it in to the "experts"

Do you know of a reliable repairer near to Newcastle on Tyne where I can get an honest opinion and not just sold a new clutch?

At 200k miles the clutch has certainly done its bit - it could be original if the car has been used for long runs.
With a worn clutch, the pedal has much less travel than on new vehicle - its just the last 50% of its movement that anything seems to happen, whereas a new clutch has pedal feeling right from top to bottom, if you get what I'm rambling on about....!
Its unlikely for the clutch to suddenly fail - this only happens when the diaphragm spring snaps. I think this would have happened by now on yours if it was going to. Obviously clutch cables can snap without warning.
Difficult for me to recommend any particular garage, but there is a Mr. Clutch centre in Gateshead - 0191 4787723. I'd be heading there, I think. Its at least worth a call!
Good luck with the Xantia - arm chair comfort!
John :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks again burnerman

There is actually no free play on the pedal so I'm not sure whether it might just be a case of lubrication

I'll take your advice and pop along to see Mr. Clutch and get their opinion

Thanks again

Back