Seal black limestone patio?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had a new path and patio area laid using black (Charcoal) limestone pavers. I have seen recommendations to seal it to stop it getting algae, etc. However we like the black look from when its wet and I have seen a coupe of companies advertising colour enhancing sealer or a satin wet look sealer. Just wondering what anyone's experiences have been with either and any recommended manufacturers?

TIA Craig

Sponsored Links
Black limestone will go lighter and greyer if you do not use some form of sealer.
And once black limestone goes greyer, you cannot get it to go blacker without using black dyes.

I did not use a sealer on my black limestone.
I knew this in advance and it was not an issue for me as I was not after the full black look - but it now looks a lot greyer than before.

All limestones are acid sensitive and water permeable, and so acidic rainwater gets into the top layers of the stone and the acidic reaction causes the stone to lighten over time. You cannot wash this effect away as it is a chemical change.

Putting a sealer on it every couple of years stops/reduces rain water penetration into the stone, and keeps it blacker for longer.
So a sealer is needed if you want to keep the black colour. Otherwise it will (slowly) get lighter.

Cannot recommend one sealer over another as never used any.

Nice link here: https://www.londonstone.co.uk/blog/black-limestone-paving-easy-on-the-chemicals/
SFK

Sponsored Links
Hi, I know your thread is over a year old but I thought I would recommend a sealant that I have used.
It's called Smartseal black limestone sealant and it's been a lifesaver for me, I tried other well known sealants but after a few weeks the limestone went grey and looked awful, I saw this on the internet and it had great reviews, it's expensive at £75 per 5 litre container but well worth the money, it is still nice and black after being used 7 months ago with no signs of fading.
Hope this helps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back