Help cleaning limestone patio

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking for suggestions on how to clean the cloudy mess on our "black" limestone patio.

It's not been sealed. I was happy with the fact it wouldn't be black unless it was wet. I've no problem with it being grey. The thing is I think the installers left the grout stuff sat on it when it was put down (about 6 months ago) which has made it all cloudy messy dirty looking.

If I get REALLY close with a pressure washer jet it leaves marks but there's no way i could clean it that way as there's 8x5m of it and i'd break my back plus miss bits.

IMG_20200422_175450.jpg IMG_20200422_191851.jpg

Thanks! I've already tried washing it with soapy water a few times. I know I can't risk acidic cleaners.

Sponsored Links
That's a jointing compound.
So a mortar cleaner won't do anything.

You may be able to use a solvent but you need to check on a test area first.
In my experience most stuff like this is temporary, so it may all go in the next few months.

Also see if your patio man can tell you which joint compound they used so you can ask the manufacturer.
It's a curing agent in the compound so you need to know what will break it down.

The jointing is a bit ropey as it's not been finished well with a pointing iron but the job looks decent.

Cheers, it was joint-it simple. Ive emailed them to see if they can help. Im not too fussy but just want the patio to look reasonably clean. The odd stain is not a big deal. Hopefully something can shift this all over mess tho.

Not that impressed with the jointing. It comes away like sand if I take a brush or washer anywhere near.

Cheers, it was joint-it simple. Ive emailed them to see if they can help. Im not too fussy but just want the patio to look reasonably clean. The odd stain is not a big deal. Hopefully something can shift this all over mess tho.

Not that impressed with the jointing. It comes away like sand if I take a brush or washer anywhere near.

Well from an ex professional paving contractors point of view it's a very lazy joint finish your paving man did.

That said if you wanted to re-joint all of it again it will be relatively easy.
Geo-fix is very good but requires packing into the joint and ideally finishing with a pointing iron ..trowel ect.
No mess is the plus which is the Hassel with mortar unless you have a perfect mix and good weather.

Geo-fix type products are also price prohibitive and why some paving companies don't use it ...take the cheaper option for ease of use, staff skill,cost, time ect.

Hth

Sponsored Links
Thanks. I asked joint-it directly and to be fair they got in touch to give me lots of advice about limestone in general not just their product. He went out of his way to help.

I can live with the jointing for now although I agree with your comments (for the price I paid). Could the cloudy white be what happens with black limestone in general? Lime deposits rising up maybe? I think I'm going to look at cleaning it properly (testing in a corner first) then using a well reviewed colour enhancer with breathable sealer in.

I had planned to stay away from enhancers/sealers because of how easy it seems to get it very wrong with black limestone and me not being bothered about it staying black. But it looks like maybe I might need it from time to time just keep it looking tidier.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back