Sealant and grout problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, hope I have put this in the correct forum.

I am having problems in my bathroom and kitchen with sealants. If I use sealant around the edge of the bath, or behind the sink - anywhere that gets wet occasionally - it's not surviving. Within days it shrinks, cracks, or discolours with mould.

Maybe I'm not applying it correctly. The sealand I use is Unibond white bathroom sealant, the tube was a few years old but only recently opened.

Likewise, I recently regrouted the tiles behind my shower. Again, within a few weeks, much of it has shrunk or cracked, and it has become very discoloured. As with the sealant, the tub was quite old.

Any clues as to what I may be doing wrong? If I start again, what should I buy to get the job done properly? I'm not the best DIYer around, but I have done a fair bit of this kind of thing before and am very thorough in the way it is applied.

Would appreciate some advice here! Thanks.

Sponsored Links
You have used out of date silicon and grout, they both go off after time , even if unopened......

With grout DO NOT buy ready mixed, its rubbish, buy good quality such as Bal.

The silicon I use is Dow Corning 785, very good in my opinion.
Fill your bath with water before you silicon the edge, then drain after about 24 hours.

Thanks for the reply.

Having looked at the sealant I was using, I was wrong. It is Everbuild 'Everflex' Bath & Kitchen Sealant.

The grout I used was Unibond, an all purpose waterproof combined wall tile adhesive and grout.

As mentioned, the silicone should be reasonably new and you should never use fix n' grout. Always use a powdered grout.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the tips chaps, I'll pick up the materials suggested this weekend.

How long should I leave the new sealant and grout before allowing it to get wet once I re-apply it?

If just siliconing, I usually allow about 4-6 hours before use. If you've put it on thick though, you should allow longer.
For the grout, leave it overnight.

regarding the shower me thinks its the substrate? cracking the grout ....what did you tile too ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back