Bath Sealant - a complete mess!! Help!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently resealed my bath following all instructions i could find on the web and on the back of the sealant tube. I stripped back all the mouldy nasty sealant using some sort of stripping chemical. i then cleaned the area thoroughly and used meths before i sealed it again. Have left it 3 days and had a bath last night and now the sealant has turned into mush - a consistancy much like toothpaste! I really dont know what I've done wrong?! It was a very hot bath and there was a lot of steam but i still dont know what happened. The only thing I can think it might be is if there was some meths or some of the sealant stripper on the walls above the sealant and its run down with the steam? Am so fed up : (

Sponsored Links
Time to redo....

Clean thoroughly - dry with clean cloth - then re-apply sealant. I usually give it a day before using the bath afterwards.

SparkoJon,

How would you clean it all off and what would you use exactly?

I don't want the same thing happening again.

It's too disheartening.

Personally i peeled it off and sanded it down - but i imagine " you dont wanna do that".

Try sealant remover from Unibond - have used this in the past - once it takes it off, use washing up liquid to clean the surface and dry wipe with paper towels.

To ensure you got it all off, re-wash and dry...

Sponsored Links
Once you have washed and dried it. Then go over it with a hair dryer, making sure it is completely dry.

Andy

Yeah and write your will first - Hairdryer in the bath :mrgreen: - reminds me of a Bond film

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back