Silicone sealant not sticking to bath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Title says it all really.

Removed old sealant with some sealant remover / knife, cleaned whole area with meths, allowed to dry, filled the bath and resealed, but in places it looks like the new sealant hasn't adhered to the bath (I can slide a fingernail underneath it in places and theres water leaking through)

Any ideas what went wrong? Or is it simply a case of cr@p sealant? To smooth i used my finger dipped in washing up liquid/water mix, but this took me a while. Could the washingup liquid have prevented the sealant from sticking properly?

Can anyone recommend a good quality sealant so i can try again?

Sponsored Links
What silicone did you use and how long after using the meths did you wait until applying the silicone?

Hi Gcol
Er, probably didnt wait that long after using the meths, but did wipe it all up with a cotton cloth, so im pretty sure it was dry. Not sure of the sealant manufacturer until i get home, but it was a general purpose sealant from a surplus store and ahem it was cheap.

Sponsored Links
As long as you're sure the area is dry then it should be fine. You can always give the area a quick wipe over with a clean paper towel to make sure it's bone dry. Then use a decent silicone sealant - cheapo stuff is a waste of time. Most on here recommended Dow Corning 785.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back