Too much silicone sealant around bath?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I'm replacing the silicone caulk around the edge of our bath. When I removed the sealant I expected a relatively modestly sized strip to come away, but instead I found that whoever fitted the bathroom had injected a larger amount to fill a gap between the tiles and the bath, measuring maybe 5mm back and 5mm down. Doesn't look it from the photo below, but it does extend back and down a bit. It was quite a job removing all this, most of it didn't come away cleanly.

To make the job easier for myself in the future, I thought it might be worth filling in much of this gap with another, more permanent material so that I can place the sealant on top of it, the idea being there would be far less volume of sealant to hack out.

Is this advisable? Is there a reason why they injected this amount of sealant? And what might I put in there to fill some of the gap? Sorry if this is obvious, I'm what you might call a reluctant DIY-er. Thanks :)

Sponsored Links
Why not use something like a PVC edge lip, one that will cover the gap and look nice. It will give a decent finish and you can run a thin bead of sealant top and bottom?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back