Silicone sealant and a wide gap between showerbase and tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having just replaced a number of tiles, and re-fixing the showerbase, I now need to redo the silicone sealant. Only one problem, on one side the gap between the tiles and the showerbase is around 8mm which I think is a bit wide just to fill with sealant.

Is there anything else that people would recommend to fill the gap and then maybe put the silicone over the top? Or can I just put multiple layers of sealant, obviously waiting for it to cure in between applications? I had thought about using some grout, but I know silicone doesn't stick well to it in this scenario....any suggestions would be most appreciated!

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
I was always told to pack it out with something, e:g: cardboard then seal over that. If done properly there should be no water get through.

Having posted the question I then did what I should have done first....read the instructions on the side of the tube.....which say for bigger gaps.....pack out with paper or foam rubber. :D

Sponsored Links
8mm of silicone bead :eek: Depending on which type of silicone you use, it may last a while as a temporary fix but sorry to say it will fail at some point in the not too distant future!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back