Sealant around laminate flooring?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think this might be a stupid question - but can't seemed to find an answer anywhere...

I have laminate flooring in my kitchen, it is laid under the units and the units are sitting on it...
Approx 2 m across is the wall skirting joint...the expansion gap is hidden by the skirting board...
There is a wee gap under the skirting (2-3mm) I would love to seal this gap - because it will look better and also because I'm paranoid about draughts...

Skirting is white and I would love to just use white decorators caulk..(I have loads...) -water shouldn't be an issue - it is aqualoc laminate and it is well away from the sink....(should only get wet when I mop it ....which isn't that often!)

Would that be ok?

Or could I use white silicone (which I would have to go and buy...)

Or do I have to live with it -because the floor is effectively fixed at the other side?

Or buy beading (nightmare to fit behind the radiator pipes)...

Please don't say take the skirting off and do it again...the reason there is such a gap is it had warped because it had stood so long while I got round to fitting it - so it was a bit of a battle and the rest of the decorating is done now...

Sponsored Links
you shouldnt block the expansion gap especialy when one side is pinned by heavy furniture

my suggestion would be you can use the thinnest film as in cut the nozzle to give you a 4mm bead and either leave alone or tool onto the surfaces this should still allow expansion and contraction
if you get trouble with expansion just carefully cut the silicone leaving in situ this will allow movement and still fill the gap

Thanks...do I have to use silicone or could I use caulk?

The idea of cutting it is brilliant....:D (never thought of that...)

Next stupid question...how do you know you have problems with expansion?
:confused:

Sponsored Links
Hmmm,

i'm picturing a small gap between the skirting and the flooring, if the skirting is white then just use white silicon. Caulk would do the same job but as it is water based, it will shrink, so you have to re- apply and then it will discolour after your first mop, around august lol. whatever you use, a neat way to finish it is, squeeze it in then scrape excess away with a staight edge, this can can be anything that it straight, a piece of plastic, ruler etc

I think this might be a stupid question - but can't seemed to find an answer anywhere...

I have laminate flooring in my kitchen, it is laid under the units and the units are sitting on it...
Approx 2 m across is the wall skirting joint...the expansion gap is hidden by the skirting board...
There is a wee gap under the skirting (2-3mm) I would love to seal this gap - because it will look better and also because I'm paranoid about draughts...

Skirting is white and I would love to just use white decorators caulk..(I have loads...) -water shouldn't be an issue - it is aqualoc laminate and it is well away from the sink....(should only get wet when I mop it ....which isn't that often!)

Would that be ok?

Or could I use white silicone (which I would have to go and buy...)

Or do I have to live with it -because the floor is effectively fixed at the other side?

Or buy beading (nightmare to fit behind the radiator pipes)...

Please don't say take the skirting off and do it again...the reason there is such a gap is it had warped because it had stood so long while I got round to fitting it - so it was a bit of a battle and the rest of the decorating is done now...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back