Sealant peeling away from window sill

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I had my window's done about 4 years ago and the sealant on every window sill has peeled away leaving this unsightly gap. I would have thought that weatherproof sealant wouldnt do this? I also feel like the gap between sill and the wall is too big to begin with? I'm happy to take this up with the window company as my warranty is for 10 years but wanted some advice on what would be the best course of action first.

IMG20220501102522.jpg

Sponsored Links
You may have a 10 year warranty but this is workmanship and usually that's only covered for one year though check your small print

You may have a 10 year warranty but this is workmanship and usually that's only covered for one year though check your small print

Thank you. Let's assume it's not covered in the warranty, how can I go about repairing this? Should I just scrape the sealant off and redo it?

Sponsored Links
Yeah peel off as much as you can, masking tape the cill to make a nice tidy 90° corner encroaching a bit more on the cill even possibly keying the exposed area with some wet n dry to help the bond, use low modulus neutral curing silicone not high mod acetoxy cure, it shrinks too much and isn't as soft and flexible as low mod

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back