Sealant that doesn't mold

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A few years ago I posted this same question about a white sealant that will not attract black mold and was recommended Dow Cowling. Well I can tell you that it is no good because black mold has grown on a lot of it in the last few years. Even more extraordinary is the very old sealant that was here before I moved in 24 years ago is still mold free. Work that one out!

Even the new windows we had installed over 3 years ago have started to get mold. It seems they just don't make it as good anymore.

Sponsored Links
Perhaps there was something in the very old type of sealant that was banned? Is it a very damp property?

I think it's partially to do with how it's applied as well - even the best anti mould silicone will probably be overcome if you use e.g a licked finger to smooth it - bacteria etc from your saliva becomes embedded in it and away it goes. That's an extreme example but you get the idea. Just applying it on a surface that has not been sterilised first may also be doomed from the outset.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back