reoccuring mold

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all I have black mold on my ceiling. I have used fingiside killer several times as directed on the bottle and repainted. The mold keeps coming back

I'm in a mid link house and the mold is cosistantly on ceiling of front and back upstairs rooms ubove window area

The rooms are well ventilated all year round.
No clothes are dried in either room

I have had my roof tiles and felting checked and vent bricks installed.

The next thing I can think of is insulation.
What is recommended depth ? Could this be the issue?

Also no plumbing in loft so no leaks

Sponsored Links
What do you mean by well ventilated , are you referring to the entire property?

No clothes are dried in either room
So you dry elsewhere in the home?

Insulation will certainly help, condensation can't occur on warm surfaces.

However that is a difficult to insulate area, as most properties in the UK are not built in a way that let's you insulate that area effectively.

Any insulation can't block the path of ventilation, this ventilation also reduces the effectiveness of insulation at that point if using mineral wool. Rigid foam is not so affected, but is a pain in the butt to fit properly between rafters at this junction.

Alternatively insulate the interior by using insulation backed plasterboard on the walls and ceiling (the latter is unusual, but technically fine).

If you can't effectively insulate away the thermal bridge so as to stop cold surfaces, then you need to increase the amount of ventilation, in some properties this may mean permanently open windows or installing air recovery systems/loft fans.

Ventilation is a quick cheap fix, and a favourite way to deal with it in our shoddy UK buildings.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back