sealant

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi folks new to this forum, can you help please, my cast iron gutter is leaking at the joints i have tried to fix it with thompsons roof & gutter sealant from b&q made sure it was clean and dry before applying but it just leaked as before when it started to rain, can you recommend a better sealant for the job

Sponsored Links
back in the old days, linseed oil putty used to work for us.

the joint needs to be undone first. this usually means hacksawing a rusted nut and bolt off first.

both surfaces need to be cleaned and dried.

you will need to roll a piece of putty between you hands, then apply it to the female surface, then fix the new gutter bolt through, removing the excess when they squeeze together.

cheers folks will try the linseed oil putty, instead of the other stuff :D by the way will it work on the downpipe joints as well ? they are leaking too!

Sponsored Links
Use Plumbers Mait - and idealy you need to split the joint and reseal it properly with a new bolt

Or there are recent new types of sealant/adhesive/gap fillers which cure and stick to wet surfaces and are very good - Stixall from Everbuild and Henkel Ceresit (from Screwfix) come to mind, as do the other specific roof and gutter sealants from screwfix such as Roofers Mate - not to be confused with Plumbers Mait

Don`t know if it`s just a Scottish thing guys but we always mix the putty with gloss paint the same colour as finished gutter. As guys say ....split the section and clean with old wood chisel down to metal........make sure all old stuff is removed. Prime surfaces with the paint then put in your mixture of putty and paint. I mix it in a small thick poly bag.

Put the material on the threads and head of bolt. Tighten it down but don`t brutalise it. Clean the excess material that is squeezed out of joint.

It`s still the best method I think. I do the rainwater cast pipes with putty but still use the molten lead on cast soil. If it`s at height or awkward I would use Sikaflex.

Alex

should have said before, i did split the joint and made sure it was clean and dry before applying the other sealant, but i notice you said (corrie ) not to tighten it too much well i like to make sure its tight so i horsed it right up maybye thats where i went wrong :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back