Sealed unit back to front - help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, just after a bit of advice please!

I had the glazing units replaced in a UPVC window - it has a fixed window and one that opens out. Both units were replaced.

I noticed when they brought the new units they were marked 'this side to face inside', however when I've had a close look I think the glass in one might be the wrong way round! I've noticed a couple of things;
  • You can see where a factory sticker has been on each unit, on one of them it's facing outside and the other is facing inside
  • Same for the protective pads that were on the glass (I think they were only on the 'face in' side
  • The text printed on the silver strip between the two panes is the opposite way round
I think they are just basic standard glass replacements, nothing fancy. Question is would this make a difference to anything if one is reversed?

I might be going crazy however the outside noise (road noise) coming through the glass on the smaller unit is louder (that's the one I think could be reversed).

Really appreciate any advice.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It makes a small difference on the u value if the low emissivity coating is on face 2 rather than face 3 (counting from outside).

Maybe it will cost £10 more in heating over 10 years.....

road noise is either the unit is different, ie 4mm -4mm not 6.3 lam and 4mm or the windows need adjusting to increase compression on the draught seal.

Thanks, appreciate the feedback!

It's more the noise issue so I'll look into the seal.

It's weird, it's like the background drone is louder when I put my ear on the glass in the small window (the one I think could be reversed) than the larger one - it's the actual noise coming through the glass as opposed to any noise from the seal o_O

Is it just the coating that makes them one-way? I don't think the replacement units have a coating (they were just basic replacements). I tried a test with a lighter and there didn't seem to be a difference..

Cheers

Thanks, appreciate the feedback!

It's more the noise issue so I'll look into the seal.

It's weird, it's like the background drone is louder when I put my ear on the glass in the small window (the one I think could be reversed) than the larger one - it's the actual noise coming through the glass as opposed to any noise from the seal o_O

Is it just the coating that makes them one-way? I don't think the replacement units have a coating (they were just basic replacements). I tried a test with a lighter and there didn't seem to be a difference..

Cheers

If they dont have a coating, then the sticker is meaningless!

Sponsored Links
Yeah that's what I thought, I don't think they are coated so yeah I was confused why they would have a sticker on o_O it's good to know it's not a major issue though.

Apart from the lighter test is there any other way to tell?

I wanted to make sure there wasn't some other reason! I did look at the sticker and it was a 4-20-4 unit the same as came out. Noise is the key issue for me as I'm a very light sleeper, good to know this isn't the glass!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back