Sealed Upvc window filling with water.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Can anyone help please? 3 of my upvc window are filling with water which is rusting the handles and presumably mechanism, from inside the bottom rail (the water is in the part surrounding the glass and filling the bottom rail if that's the right word). The window surround seems sealed with no drainage holes on bottom, top or sides. The actual window frame has drainage holes and seems fine. I don't know how the water is getting in. How can I solve this? Can I drill holes into the window surround? Would have to be sides as bottom seems to be taken up by the metal window mechanism.

All 3 are large top opener window with handle at the bottom.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Hi, did you ever figure out where the water was coming from? We have the exact same problem but no one seems to be able to figure it out. Thx.

Hi, did you ever figure out where the water was coming from? We have the exact same problem but no one seems to be able to figure it out. Thx.

Again, photos will help.

The two people that I would most hope reply, if i were you, are @ronniecabers and @crank39 - no disrespect to anyone else though.

Sponsored Links
Sorry I thought the OP @Boycromer might reply as I was hoping they had fixed their issue from 2022. Happy to attach photos and more information.

We have a top hung outer opening double glazed upvc window on the ground floor and gable end of the house. It’s above a fixed pane of glass underneath. I’ve added a photo.

When it rains we get water leaking from the handle of the top hung window as marked in green on the photos. The water runs out of the handle, down the inside bottom pane of glass and pools on the interior window sill.

We contacted a window repair guy who wouldn’t come and take a look as he said it was water getting in the wall cavity above and then in the window, so no issue with the window itself. However, our weep holes are clear above the window and there is no sign of any damaged brickwork etc. Also when it rains and the handle is leaking the part marked in blue on the photo and the frame above is completely dry.

The seal around the outside of the window appears to be intact and the drainage holes on the fixed pane of glass below are clear and working.

All walls around the window on the inside are dry and do not show any signs of damp.

Any ideas on how the water might be getting in the window would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_9034.jpeg
    IMG_9034.jpeg
    279 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_9018.jpeg
    IMG_9018.jpeg
    159 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_9023.jpeg
    IMG_9023.jpeg
    255.4 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_9033.jpeg
    IMG_9033.jpeg
    155.1 KB · Views: 42

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back