UPVC window - handle won't lock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

The handle on my upvc window will only turn around 20 degrees before stopping. The mechanism to to move the bolts which lock the window in place will not move either. This seems to have happened overnight without any earlier indication that it was failing. Unfortunatly this is stopping us from locking this window.

Not sure if this is relevant, but it is hinged at the top with latch at the bottom. The upvc internal beading at the bottom is now bowed, in that there is approx a 3-4mm gap from the upvc of the window itself.

Any ideas of how to fix this?

Many thanks
Gaz

Sponsored Links
I think the lack of response to your post could be because people are having trouble visualising what you describe. (I am anyway). Any chance of some piccies?
Basically it sounds as if your window is b*ggerd to use the technical term. Check first to see if any obstruction are stopping its normal movement. Could it have gone off-square for some worrying reason. Have bits of the locking mechanism bust internally and left ends sticking out of the opener?
(By the way, did you mean to say "without earlier indication.." rather than "with"...)

A pic wouldn't be a bad idea!!

It's not the best but it shows how far the handle will turn. I've put a mirror underneath the opening part of the window and everything appears clear. All of the pins etc are not obstructed or bent.

When the handle is turned, the pins to the sides will come out only 3-4mm at most.

Any ideas?

Many thanks
Gaz

Sponsored Links
Sounds like something adrift internally to me. If you can get to the bottom edge of the opener you should be able to remove the mechanism. Could be inconvenient if it's an upstairs room though - might be easier to take the whole opener off at the hinges (needs 2 people).

If other windows in the house are from the same batch check out one that's easier to get to to see how they are put together.

P.S. Take handle off first to get mechanism out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back