Sealing a Bath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bath sprung a leak this morning where the sealant has got damaged (scrubbed too hard cleaning it!). Manifested itself with a wet ceiling below! Took the side off the bath and it's definately from the area which I suspected.

Been out and bought some new sealant and will apply it tonight.

Trouble is, it doesn't say how long to leave it to dry, nor does it say whether I should empty the bathful of water I am supposed to put in the bath for weight straight after the sealant is applied or after it is dry.

The best it will get it 12 hours, as I need to shower in the morning for work so unfortunately can't give it any longer. Is this likely to be a good duration, and what will speed it up - heat, cool, fan etc.?

And if this is not enough time, will it be enough to be temporary so it doesn't leak again in the morning, so that I can rip it off again another day when I can leave it longer and re-do it?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
1) You need to allow time for the wall to dry out (plaster?)

2) Remove all previous sealant

3) Make sure that the area where you are applying the silicone sealant is clean, dry & grease free

4) Filll the bath with water, apply silicone sealant and leave the water in the bath for 24 hours - allowing the silicone time to cure

Use a good quality sealant

To honest you could try fewer hours but the key is in the preparation - the better the prep the better the finished result

Thanks.

The wall is tiled so doesn't need to dry out (at least not on the surface the sealant is being applied to).

I will clean the area as best I can, fill the bath to the overflow, and apply the sealant.

Unfortunately, this may end up having to be a temporary repair, as the most I am going to be able to leave it before emptying the bath and showering is 12 hours. If this is not enough then I will do a proper job of it one weekend when longer drying times can be provided.

I had hoped for a permanent repair, but if I can perform a temporary one to at least stop the leak until time allows for a permanent one then that is better than nothing.

Will putting the heating on or pointing a fan at it help it dry?

Not being funny but could you not 1) do without a shower for a day or 2) have a shower at a friends or relatives.

If you want to fix it then you really do need to do 'as exactly as it says on the tin' so to speak. ;)

Sponsored Links
i'd suggest:-

prepare well the night before and then next morning get up early, shower, do the repair, go to work....next morning, get up and empty the bath before using it again.

Not showering is not an option unfortunately as we have no relatives etc. close by we could call upon.

I thought about doing it early morning and going to work, but it would be wet after showering and would take ages to dry out even if I got the hair dryer or something on it - time which I don't have before work. It would also mean that as I would have to prepare the night before, that there was no seal on when I showered that morning.

I think the best I can do under the circumstances is do a repair tonight and give it 12 hours - I imagine that after 12 hours it will at least be watertight for the short -term, then check it at the weekend and if it looks in bad shape do it again and give it the full amount of time.

The world will obviously come to an end if you don't get your shower (rather than a bath, say),
greddy2.gif
so how about sellotaping a plastic bag to the tiles above the sealant before you have the shower?
In 12 hours it will have "skinned" significantly so some water won't hurt, even if it isn't cured right through.
Use Dow Corning, sanitary grade.

Good idea about the plastic bags. I think I will tape some black bags on to the tiles before bed tonight, and then when we shower in the morning it will at least minimise the water that goes on the half-cured sealant.

I am sure you can go for a day without a shower. My dad used to have a bath once a month whether he needed one or not.
At weekends I don't bother showering

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back