Sealing a bath, need good sealant!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently re-sealed my bath as the water was getting under the old sealant. I did everything I should: removed all the old sealant, cleaned it all up, filled the bath with water, applied the new sealant (using masking tape to make sure I got the bead perfect) and let it cure for a whole week before draining the bath and using it. However, I have noticed that water likes to collect in the corner after a shower and the new silicon seems to be suffering under constant immersion.

Rather than have to dry it off every time I would like to replace the silicon with something suitable for being permanently immersed in water. I guess there must be something for sealing ponds/aquaria but everything in Wickes says "not suitable for aquaria".

Does anyone have any ideas on what I could use? White is preferable so I guess hot tar is out :)

Sponsored Links
""not suitable for aquaria".
is just cos it has anti fungal in it.
Dow Corning products are very good. £ ok at bes.ltd.uk
Before you apply silicones you should clean with meths. If the bead has to be wide and ugly you could replace it with some white plastic quadrant stuck in with silicone you hardly see. Comes from double glazing suppliers. Most people use a wider bead than necessary. Try smoothing with the corner of a credit (or club) card).

AdamW said:
I recently re-sealed my bath as the water was getting under the old sealant. I did everything I should: removed all the old sealant, cleaned it all up, filled the bath with water, applied the new sealant (using masking tape to make sure I got the bead perfect) and let it cure for a whole week before draining the bath and using it. However, I have noticed that water likes to collect in the corner after a shower and the new silicon seems to be suffering under constant immersion.

Rather than have to dry it off every time I would like to replace the silicon with something suitable for being permanently immersed in water. I guess there must be something for sealing ponds/aquaria but everything in Wickes says "not suitable for aquaria".

Does anyone have any ideas on what I could use? White is preferable so I guess hot tar is out :)

Hot tar is a good idea.... but there are better methods.

The best thing to do is get a "sanitary" or anti-fungal silicone. Make sure the surface it is applied to is perfectly smooth and clean.... and dry. The best thing to do, is first clean any muck off where it is to be applied. Next get a hairdrier and thorougly dry the area it is to be applied to.

This worked great for me. It is still clean, non-mouldy and fully stuck after about 3 years of the bath moving with my wieght and water from showers.

That is great, thanks guys. Right, off to find some Dow Corning.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back