Sealing a Chimney - how do I spot if work has been done?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had some work done on a chimney and skews. Normally attempt everything myself, but felt it was a step too far.

2 months on and we still have an issue with water penetration, so up onto the roof to discover the flaunching is in a poor state with lots of cracks.

I really want to bring this up with the roofer who did the work, but don't want to cause any issues as he is a very respected local tradesman and has done a great job on the skews. He has billed me for sealing the chimney, but I am unsure as to whether this has actually taken place due to the state of the flaunching when I got up there.

Should he have used a sealant if there are finger width gaps at the base of the chimney pots and if he has what would I expect to see if anything or how can I work out if the sealant has been used? Can I flaunch over the top of sealant?

Sponsored Links
Sealing the chimney by doing what with what?

If he renewed the flaunching around the cans you would see it, same as pointing etc.

Thanks for your reply.

He didn't redo the flaunching, but claims to have used a silicone seal of some sort. I presumed something that was sprayed on or brushed on? Like a water barrier of some sort...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back