Sealing a shower tray in

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had a shower tray installed, the surround tiled and a sliding glass door fitted.

As a finish, I am aware that I need to seal unit.

Will a good bead of bathroom silicon sealant from a gun be sufficient? I am aware that applying mastic is often suggested.

(A quick query on checkatrade resulted in a callback quote of £180+VAT for 2x tubes of silicon sealant to be installed)

Sponsored Links
If everything has been done properly, you only need silicone between tray and tiles and silicone on the outside of the door frame.

Thanks Johnny.

I've got a cartridge gun and some decent tubes of sealant - to me, that looks doable!

Why did the tiler not do the silicone?

Edit, BTW take note of Johnny's advice to silicone the outside of the door frame, rather than the inside. Some require silicone on both sides, some the inside only and some the outside only. Most, nearly all, require that the tray is siliconed before fitting (so that there is no hole under the frame where the tray meets the wall).

Sponsored Links
Thanks - appreciate it.

Although the quality of what they have done is ok - the firm I've been using have been pretty poor.

"No shows" leaving us with no bathroom for weeks and spending most of their day backwards and forwards to the plumbing supplies shop because they didn't know what was needed before arriving (despite having been to price, quote and then coming back multiple times).

They instructed me to buy a bar-shower valve, which now they have fitted, and the shower has (quite literally!) a drip of pressure, because the bar purchased was not a specific low pressure one.

All in all a pretty poor experience that has left me money down the drain and still not a functioning shower!

Thanks - appreciate it.

Although the quality of what they have done is ok - the firm I've been using have been pretty poor.

"No shows" leaving us with no bathroom for weeks and spending most of their day backwards and forwards to the plumbing supplies shop because they didn't know what was needed before arriving (despite having been to price, quote and then coming back multiple times).

They instructed me to buy a bar-shower valve, which now they have fitted, and the shower has (quite literally!) a drip of pressure, because the bar purchased was not a specific low pressure one.

All in all a pretty poor experience that has left me money down the drain and still not a functioning shower!

I hope that you are discounting the additional costs from any outstanding balance.

The £180 you were quoted is taking the pee. It is a 30 to 60 minute job (excluding travelling). I would strongly recommend that you thoroughly clean the areas to be siliconed. I normally use isopropyl alcohol for the final clean but meths is OK. I use profiling tools to smooth the silicone and then dip my finger in washing up liquid for the final run over. You may prefer to use really thin tape first, plus the tool, and then your finger when you remove the tape. I would also recommend that you purchase some decorator's wipes- in case you need to remove accidents. They can be used for general cleaning further down the line.

Thank you - I appreciate it!

The £180 felt like a pee take - more than happy to pay for a quality and technical job - but it's a brand new shower install - so really is a quick swipe around a perfectly clean and preped area with no old bead to remove or anything.

Thanks for the tips!

you need to change the mixer to the appropriate one before sealing up

Thanks - am considering putting a booster pump between the shower and the immersion (as the pressure was never amazing)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back