Shower tray sealing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,
Just a quick question.
I am installing the first level of tiles around my shower tray. I intend to leave a gap of about 3-4mm between the tile and shower tray.
Should this be filled with grout or in my mind silicone which would allow some flexibility between the shower tray and first course of tiles and a stronger silicone seal.
I am not sure what the recommended method is so I would be most grateful for advice.
Kind regards
Andre

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for replying.
I thought silicone would be better but may I ask one last question. Is clear silicone longer lasting or is there no difference.
Kind regards

Sponsored Links
In my opion I have found clear to be stronger than white but it all depends if it is on show.

Andy

BT1 is new on the market and so far it is rated the same or better than 785.

The choice is yours.

Andy

I often use CT1 (as a decorator), I haven't tried BT1 yet.

I would however point out that tooling/smoothing CT1 to a high standard is more difficult than silicone.

Thanks Andy,
I remember 25 years ago a old boy said to me failure of silicone sealant is mostly due to the added colour and clear is better.
I have a black shower tray and white brick size tiles. Initially, I thought maybe black silicone sealant against the white tiles but that may be asking for problems with the neatness. The next safer option is white against the black tray or better still clear silicone BT1 may be the best all round solution.
Thanks for replying

Thanks Andy,
I remember 25 years ago a old boy said to me failure of silicone sealant is mostly due to the added colour and clear is better.
I have a black shower tray and white brick size tiles. Initially, I thought maybe black silicone sealant against the white tiles but that may be asking for problems with the neatness. The next safer option is white against the black tray or better still clear silicone BT1 may be the best all round solution.
Thanks for replying

Why not go for black BT1?

TBH, I can't see why the colour has an impact on failure rates.

I haven't used BT1 clear yet, but I have seen the clear CT1 yellow in rooms with little natural light.

There is often a problem with mould accumulating on silicone sealants in my experience with just one exception - Forever White from Everbuild which in my experience seems to be totally mould proof.

I know most will not agree, but I like to use this trim https://www.wickes.co.uk/Homelux-Bath-Seal-Pro-White-1-83m/p/229569 I hate visible silicon in a shower because it always seems to get some mould on it no matter what you do. With this trim, you can apply loads of silicon underneath it (which you must do in a shower, to stop water going down the internal corner and running along inside the seal). Also, I stop it tight inside the shower screen with just the smallest bit of clear silicon to capture anything trying to run along the top of the trim behind the tile.

Result is a neat white trim, that will never go mouldy. Ever. Used it in several showers over the last 40 years and it's never let me down.

Only use homelux. I tried a cheaper version once, and the soft edge curled upwards a bit after a bit of use. - not quite as neat.

I know that 99% of people just use silicon - so this is just my personal solution.

I know most will not agree, but I like to use this trim https://www.wickes.co.uk/Homelux-Bath-Seal-Pro-White-1-83m/p/229569 I hate visible silicon in a shower because it always seems to get some mould on it no matter what you do. With this trim, you can apply loads of silicon underneath it (which you must do in a shower, to stop water going down the internal corner and running along inside the seal). Also, I stop it tight inside the shower screen with just the smallest bit of clear silicon to capture anything trying to run along the top of the trim behind the tile.

Result is a neat white trim, that will never go mouldy. Ever. Used it in several showers over the last 40 years and it's never let me down.

Only use homelux. I tried a cheaper version once, and the soft edge curled upwards a bit after a bit of use. - not quite as neat.

I know that 99% of people just use silicon - so this is just my personal solution.
Used this once on strong insistence from the customer.
A couple of years later I was called to remove it, but as it lifts the first row of tiles by 5/6mm, i cut it flush, sealed the edge with expanding foam and applied a upvc profile.
Still there, but not my preferred option.
I use white silicone on white bath/tray, forever white remains mould free and white for about 5 years in regularly cleaned bathrooms.
One question, why are you leaving a gap between the tiles and the tray?
If the tray is properly supported and levelled, you just rest the first row of tiles on it.
Personally I seal the tray edges against the wall with silicone and tile next day.
I've also seen a tiler putting a bead of silicone on the tray and then tile, so that between the bottom of the tiles and the tray there's silicone.
You need to be fast to then remove excess and tool it to a smooth finish.

@johnny2007 I would never try and persuade anyone my way is best, it's just what has worked for me over the years. Because of the extra fiddling about and time it takes, I probably wouldn't do it either if I was charging my time out.

Alternatively, use Teleseal which I have used as a perfect non-mouldy, non-silicone seal on baths but yet to try it on a shower tray.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back