Damsel in distress - Leaking shower - help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a leak in my shower which I cannot find but suspect that it is coming from the shower tray/tile joint. I have raked out the old grout between the bottom row of tiles and shower tray. The gap between tiles and tray is only tiny in some places and absolutely flush in others. I am proposing to only silicone only the gap with a double layer of silicone - one between the tiles and tray and then the more normal layer of silicone outside the tiles onto the shower tray. I am hoping that this will flex with the tray.

Can anyone help me please as this cost a fortune to install and has never really been right - however in the past week it is getting much worse.

Sponsored Links
Can you not get the installer back?
You wont need to put 2 layers of silcone, as if the first one is no good the 2nd one probably wont be.
If you are going down the silcone route...the tiles need to be clean & very dry.

Thanks diyisfun. I cant get the installers back. I have let everything dry out for 24 hours and it all appears dry and fine.

My next question then is - how big or small an amount of silicone do I use - does it matter. If I do a fairly wide layer does that make a difference if I curve it up 2 or 3 cms onto the tiles and same amount down onto the tray? Does that give it any further protection.

Any help or advice - really welcome :)

Have you used silcone before..its messy the first time.
Use a good one, anti mould etc.
If you have masking tape, you can put masking tape each side about 6/7 mm up the tile etc.
Dont use to much silcone put it were you want it, then with a wet finger, gently wipe it over, this should leave a nice finish.
Pull the tape of with care but immediatly, do not leave the tape for the silicone to dry.

You may get some ideas here
http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=us...7ADRA_en&redir_esc=&ei=ziFZTcz4BoPJhAfhh5zXDA

Sponsored Links
firstly there should have been NO grout between tile and tray at all, should have been a good anti fungal/ anti mildew silicon.

Is there any movement when you stand in the shower tray ?

what are the walls that the tiles are on made from ( with heat in the bathroom the walls could be contracting slightly causing the grout to break away, possibly water was sitting on the tray where it meets the tiles and permeated through the grout.

My first thought would be as you say 2 beads of silicon, small one first, just enough to squeeze BETWEEN tile and tray, when thats nearly set lay another slightly wider bead over the top, BUT make sure there is definately a seal over lapping the tray and tiles

Just re-read your 2nd post, putting 2-3 cms will stop the water ingress but WILL look AWFUL, if you are not good at laying beads of silicon do as the previous reply says, use masking tape, but wipe tray and tiles with nail varnish remover first to give a clean surface for tape to stick to

Thanks Jctilingservices,

I thought myself it didn't make sense to use grouting between the wall and the tray, something fixed against something with movement - something has to give - but hey I am just a damsel! ;)

Yes there is slight movement in the tray - obviously just enough to do damage I think. I think all the walls were lined with ply and then the tiles were stuck to the ply! ( I think)

Thanks for your advice - I am now going off to use the nailvarnish remover and prepare it for the silicone. I might add for those who wish to know - I have a low profile shower tray - I think it was a big mistake, I should have stuck with the more traditional deep tray.

Many thanks for all the advice today

Thanks Jctilingservices,

I thought myself it didn't make sense to use grouting between the wall and the tray, something fixed against something with movement - something has to give - but hey I am just a damsel! ;)

Yes there is slight movement in the tray - obviously just enough to do damage I think. I think all the walls were lined with ply and then the tiles were stuck to the ply! ( I think)

Thanks for your advice - I am now going off to use the nailvarnish remover and prepare it for the silicone. I might add for those who wish to know - I have a low profile shower tray - I think it was a big mistake, I should have stuck with the more traditional deep tray.

Many thanks for all the advice today

you are welcome to the advice, let us know how you get on with it, even if you are jsut a damsel ;)

When installing a shower tray it should be siliconed before tiling-then the tiles off the tray should have a 2-3mm gap between tray and tiles to allow for the final silicone to get into to when sealing.

As the gap on yours is non existant in places I think the problem will just reoccur :(

Thanks to all three gallant knights :LOL:

I have taken all your advice on board. Waited an extra day or two to dry everything out completely. Removed every trace of grout and silicone - put extra weight into the shower tray ( like the full bath scenario !! not sure if I should have done that but too late now !) and waiting to see the finished result after it dries overnight.

If all of the above doesn't work - then out it comes again!! God loves a trier :D

Thanks once again - this site is a great facility.

Eilers

The shower tray should not move at all, if it does it's not installed correctly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back