Help needed with installing a shower tray after tiling :-(

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning all,

I hope this is in the right section. I was offered by a friend to help tile my shower room before he went away, he tiled the room from floor to ceiling, doing a very nice job indeed. However now the time has come to install my shower tray, and I have read that the tray was meant to be installed before the tiling? What are my options now, are they: 1) Grind the tiles out needed to slot the tray underneath, 2) Take the whole bottom row of tile out from the grout line, fix tray, tile back down to tray 3) Butt the tray upto the tile, then use silicon/trim to cover any slight gap between tray and tile?

Hope this makes sense.

Scottyboyiow

Sponsored Links
Yes your right, whether its a shower or bath, they go in first. Also good idea to chase the edge in slightly to the wall. Every shower I do I always tank the walls with Bal WP1.

Best bet is remove the bottom row of tiles, chisel away at the wall so the edge is buried in the wall slightly, and tile down to the edge. Leave a 2mm gap between the bottom tile and the shower tray to get a good silicon sealant application.

Problem is that all shower trays have a radius on the outside corner edge. This is bad news if you butt the tray because water will settle in the hollow after use & unless you clear it away, you will soon have a nice little bacteria culture growing there which will very quickly turn to black mould & once that sets in, it’s impossible to shift. If the radius on the outer edge of the tray is small, you might get away with butting & a rather large silicone bead but if the bead fails, you will have a direct route for water to siphon down the side of the tray, into the wall, behind the tiles & even the floor itself; any one of which = failure.

You could chance it but neds advice is spot on. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back