Have I made a mistake? Help appreciated.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning all,

I hope this is in the right section. I was offered by a friend to help tile my shower room before he went away, he tiled the room from floor to ceiling, doing a very nice job indeed. However now the time has come to install my shower tray, and I have read that the tray was meant to be installed before the tiling? What are my options now, are they: 1) Grind the tiles out needed to slot the tray underneath, 2) Take the whole bottom row of tile out from the grout line, fix tray, tile back down to tray 3) Butt the tray upto the tile, then use silicon/trim to cover any slight gap between tray and tile?

Hope this makes sense.

Scottyboyiow

Sponsored Links
I would have thought it easy enough to knock the tiles off and prep the surface with a chisel dude, but if you wanted a lazy and cheap option you could buy one of those sucker types like wot I have. There’s some good uns on the market and when they start to look dowdy you can simply detach and replace with a shiny new one.

If you really wanted to use the one you have bought I’m sure you could put it over the tiles and, with a nifty bit of DIY, pretty up the edges or screw heads afterwards. BTW, I charge a £30 consultancy fee which you can paypal me later if you use my suggestions :D

Anyway, don’t sweat the small stuff geezer; I’ve got a worse job to do. My shower is fitted with a folding seat that the previous occupants used. Every time I look at it I think of an 80 year old man and woman’s dangly bits draped over it, probably with a wrinkly nob and pair of balls hangin' off the edge across the shower floor. (And that's just his wife :D )

So it’s got to go and I imagine there will be holes left behind and tiles replacing, that’s if I can get 50 year old tiles still...

tony - wow! :) strange post.

anyhoo, yes your always best to put the shower tray in first. if you have some tiles left then i'd suggest raking out the grout on the bottom row, then smash them in the middle with a hammer and use a hammer and chisel to take them off working from the middle out.

pop in the shower tray, use a big bead of silicone on the two wall facing sides to bond it to the wall, then silicone at the joint too. cut and fix tiles back down to it, silicone the tile to the tray join after grouting.

make sure you use a good quality silicone such as dow corning with a mould inhibitor.

if you dont have the tiles, then i wouldnt try to do this fit the tray to the tiles, but dont expect flawless performance - alternatively fit a shower tray former into the floor and tile the floor like a wetroom.

Sponsored Links
Cheers chaps, think I am going to have to bite the bullet and crack the bottom row of tiles, seems like the best option. Spoken to supplier and they will replace the tiles at cost price so not all bad I guess. Thanks again.

fair enough. get them first though and check the shade matches - before you chop out

Anyway, don’t sweat the small stuff geezer; I’ve got a worse job to do. My shower is fitted with a folding seat that the previous occupants used. Every time I look at it I think of an 80 year old man and woman’s dangly bits draped over it, probably with a wrinkly nob and pair of balls hangin' off the edge across the shower floor. (And that's just his wife :D )
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back