Sealing a through-bath shower hose hole

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

This is potentially one of those "i can imagine what it looks like but have no clue what it's called" posts.

We have a rarely used bathtub that I'm trying to make more shower-friendly (currently purely used as a bathtub). The issue is all the plumbing is concealed except for the one hose for the shower that comes through the baththub. I'm essentially looking to extend this (currently only suitable if you're seated) to allow for a wall hung shower head.

The issue is that the way it was done up (before we moved in) has a square 'cap' fixed over a hole. Water can basically flow right through this hole to the gap under the tub (i.e. leaks) and I'm trying to work out a way to seal this up nicely.

It appears that what I need is somethign like this but i'm confused about why I can't find this anywhere except for one random online store.

However open to suggestions or steer from this community if there's a better option? Ideally I don't want to remove these two pieces as accessing the under-part of the system is really difficult - really requires some awkward bending to get there. I'm hoping there's some sort of rubber sealed adapter way I can get this to work with the existing mechanism?

The diameter of the hole of the plate is 0.9".

Any help really appreciated - thanks!

20211126_142514.jpg
20211126_142519.jpg
20211126_142650.jpg

Sponsored Links
At the moment what holds the square washer thing in place?

Why can't you just buy the one you linked to?

At the moment what holds the square washer thing in place?

Why can't you just buy the one you linked to?

The square washer thing screws onto the 'under side' part of the adapter which sits under the bath. You can see the metal bit in the middle of the hole in the bathtub sticking out a bit which has the grooves to screw the square washer onto.

The one I linked to seems like it'd do the job but I'd ideally like to pick it up from b&q / amazon etc in case it doesn't fit for e.g. - don't want to spend £25 with this unknown shop that has a questionable return policy. Any idea what that's called - "through bath adapter" doesn't yield any applicable results on other diy sites.

I suspect it being such a unique (and as you know stupid) approach that you've had the misfortune to inherit that nobody else makes one. You might just have to suck it up and hope it fits.

Or could you fit one of these? But then you'd need a thread adapter or something under the bath too. https://www.google.com/search?q=Sho...GB5kQ_AUoAXoECAEQAw&biw=2149&bih=1098&dpr=0.8

Presumably you can access the underside of the bath, albeit awkward?

Probably better off re-posting in the Plumbing section.

Sponsored Links
I suspect it being such a unique (and as you know stupid) approach that you've had the misfortune to inherit that nobody else makes one. You might just have to suck it up and hope it fits.

Or could you fit one of these? But then you'd need a thread adapter or something under the bath too. https://www.google.com/search?q=Sho...GB5kQ_AUoAXoECAEQAw&biw=2149&bih=1098&dpr=0.8

Presumably you can access the underside of the bath, albeit awkward?

Probably better off re-posting in the Plumbing section.

I ended up trying this out https://www.amazon.co.uk/Square-Mounted-connection-concealed-showers/dp/B0791KCMZP
This shows up in youor search results too!

It LOOKS like it'll do the job, but i'll report back - thanks! Hardest part will probably be getting to the underside - I've already managed to remove the bath panel - but it is a huge squeeze to get into that corner. Hopefully i'll figure it out!!

I would advise against trying to use it as a "normal" shower.

I have the Crosswater Follow Me pull out shower head. It has a path to the drain for any water that falls in to the hole. Many don't, i.e. possibly yours.

At the moment, because you don't have a lot of water falling from above it probably isn't too much of an issue. As soon as you extend it to a wall mount you will have lots of water falling in to the hole.

Sorry, I appreciate that isn't what you want to hear.

I would advise against trying to use it as a "normal" shower.

I have the Crosswater Follow Me pull out shower head. It has a path to the drain for any water that falls in to the hole. Many don't, i.e. possibly yours.

At the moment, because you don't have a lot of water falling from above it probably isn't too much of an issue. As soon as you extend it to a wall mount you will have lots of water falling in to the hole.

Sorry, I appreciate that isn't what you want to hear.
Well even if he uses another source for the shower that'll not solve the problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back