Sealing an old system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,
I'm planning to replace my venerable Crane boiler with something a bit more efficient, smaller and not in the kitchen. In fact I want to relocate a nice Broag of Valiant into the loft

I've talked it through with a relative in the trade who will do the job (technically his employer will do it as he's not individually certified but he will be doing the job through them oficially).

He has a feeling that leaving the system in its current vented setup might cause issues as there won't be a great head between boiler/pump and header tank. Sealing the system would seem to be a good solution. Plus I would prefer to go sealed

However the entire system is plumbed in stainless (Wensbury i think) with bronze(?) compression fittings used extensively in areas not easily accessible
It has never leaked but having removed a few fittings for various room refurbs the olives don't seem to have a great purchase on the pipes - there's certainly not been pipe deformation like you get on copper
I know it's an unusual system but does anyone have any thoughts ? Am I likely to open a party 7 of worms trying to pressurise this setup
Probably not that relevant but I do an annual service of a couple of weeks running system cleaner then a drain and fill with inhibitor so the joints shouldn't be held together purely with sludge deposits

Cheers
Fumb

Sponsored Links
Best solution would be to rip all the pipe out and start again. Failing that I wouldn't pressurise old stainless.

I agree - don`t pressurise it ! You`ll have to consider the boiler @ a lower level

Thanks gemts

I don't really want to start again so it looks like an alternative location is required

Are there any other inherant issues with stainless?

Sponsored Links
The whole basis of a hydraulic seal and physical retention, using olives, is keying of the olive into the parent tubing, by mechanical deformation. That's virtually impossible on stainless tube using bronze olives unless ginormous torquing of the fittings has taken place.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back